Wenger named a stronger than anticipated line-up with Alexis Sanchez reverting to the left wing to accommodate Giroud on his first start of the season while Aaron Ramsey was deployed on the right with Granit Xhaka alongside Francis Coquelin in midfield.

If the aim was to ensure Arsenal started on the front foot, it backfired in spectacular fashion. Ozil wasted a good chance to open the scoring from Coquelin’s eighth-minute pass and that miss proved costly as they fell behind shortly afterwards.

Wanderson’s free-kick delivery splittered Arsenal’s defence, allowing Cafu to turn the ball past David Ospina from close range. The situation got worse just three minutes later as Cafu beat Kieran Gibbs far too easily and crossed for Keseru to convert and take his tally to eight goals in his last four matches.

The Gunners made a calamitous start as Jonathan Cafu and Claudiu Keseru handed the home side a 2-0 lead inside the first 15 minutes but Granit Xhaka and Olivier Giroud levelled before Ozil broke through and showed superb composure to secure victory.

Xhaka converted Ozil’s pull-back with a smart side-foot finish to restore a degree of order and they were level shortly before the interval when Giroud climbed highest to convert Ramsey’s right-wing cross.

The goal felt pivotal coming so close to the break but Ludogorets stood firm after the restart and almost took the lead with a quick counter-attack. Sanchez’s free-kick deflected off the wall and as goalkeeper Milan Borjan eventually claimed the resulting corner, suddenly they poured forward.

Substitute Mohamed Elneny sent Ozil clear and he lifted the ball over Borjan before taking his time to slot the ball home as two defenders threw themselves at his feet to protect the open goal.

Ludogorets were hoping for a draw towards the dyeing minutes before Ozil proved his class.

Arsenal remain top of Group A and first place will be decided when Arsene Wenger’s side host Paris St Germain – who beat Basel 2-1 this evening – at Emirates Stadium in three weeks’ time.