4-4-2 formation is as old as the football history. A 4-4-2 formation can be set up in two different ways, either in flat line or diamond shape. The flat 4-4-2 formation consist of four defenders, four midfielders that mirrors the set-up of the defenders and two strikers.
The diagram below shows the 4-4-2 (flat) basic set-up:
A 4-4-2 diamond formation is made up of four defenders, one defensive midfielder(DMF), two wing midfielders, one attacking midfielder and two strikers.
The diagram below shows the basic set-up of 4-4-2 (diamond) formation:
Advantages of 4-4-2 formation
· It gives you options in the midfield and attacker.
· It switches from 4-4-2 to 2-4-4 thereby giving an edge to dominate when attacking.
· It brings stability and comfort to an average defence.
Disadvantages of 4-4-2 formation
· When the opposing team is playing with a 4-3-3 formation, it stifles the 4-4-2 midfield.
· When 4-4-2 switches to 2-4-4, it exposes the wing-back positions for counter-attacks.
In recent time, Leicester City FC have used this formation to great effect and is a trademark formation for most national teams.